In 1919, the Saint Paul Baptist Church was organized as the first African American church in Ventura County. Services were held in a temporary place until the edifice located a 318 West Seventh Street was donated.
The first pastor of Saint Paul Baptist Church was the late Reverend J.D. Pedigrew. After the death of Reverend Pedigrew, the late Reverend J.M. Brooks served as interium minister and later served as pastor.
1942 - 1944, G.G. Bailey was called as the Pastor. The first Board of Deacons was formed under Reverend Bailey's leadership. The following brothers were chosen as Deacons: Isaiah Matthews, Henry Pierce and Andrew Lee. Sister Daisy Taylor was the church clerk. Edith Johnson served as the church pianist and after which Carrie Pinkard served as pianist.
1944 - 1972, Rev. Jesse Walker was introduced to the Saint Paul Baptist Church family by the recommendation of Rev. W.P. Carter and Rev. Frank James and he accepted pastorship.
A Trustee Board was formed, composed of the following: James Montgomery, L.H. Patterson, Dee Pinkard, Henry Rhodes and Ethel Willis. The Saint Paul Baptist Church recived its papers of incorporation during this time. During the early 1950's, the evening church services were broadcast live from the sanctuary. By this time, the church had outgrown the small building and plans were underway to secure a larger facility. Two lots were purchased due to the foresight of Pastor Walker who realized that a larger space was needed. Pastor Walker and the Board members sought and purchased property for a new edifice to be built. January 1960, the edifice located at 1354 South C Street was completed. The first service was April 23, 1960.
November 20, 1972, Reverend H.N. Edwards, a minister with a vision, a mission and a strong faith in God was called to carry on the divine works of Jesus Christ. Reverend Edwards accepted his calling to pastor the Saint Paul Baptist Church, February 1973.
November 11, 1990, Reverend Broderick Alan Huggins, Ph.D was installed as the Pastor of the Saint Paul Baptist Church. Since his arrival at Saint Paul, this body of believers has grown on all levels and is well known throughout Ventura County. The growth can be attributed to the profound teaching and preaching of Pastor Huggins and his genuine love for God's people. Over three hundred people were added to the church within the first year that Reverend Huggins was our pastor.
Reverend Huggins has implemented several ministries within the church that focus on spiritual growth and promotes relationships. Some examples are Family & Friends Weekend; Tuesday Night Live, Family Conference, Teaching & Preaching Conferences, Month of Prayer and Consecration; Faith Cafe' (Christian Education for the youth), reorganization fo the Women's Ministry, Evangelism and much more.
November, 2005, Pastor Huggins led the congregation into its current home: the Saint Paul Baptist Church Family Life Center, 1777 Statham Blvd, Oxnard, CA. Currently worship is held in the gymnasium while the sanctuary is being completed. The following has been implemented since moving into our new home: St. Paul Academy (Child care for babies to kg); Sober Living Home for Men; Partnership with the Ventura County Mental Health - C.O.P.I.N.G. Program; an accredited Seminary & Bible Institute, a Christian Bookstore; and the list continues. After years of trial and victories, we are standing with our Pastor as he follows Christ's vision for the Saint Paul Baptist Church. We continue to "Build God's People As We Build God's Property."